Sunday, January 17, 2010

1960's Overhaul



I found this relic in the basement of my boyfriend's new house.  The lady he bought it from left a bunch of junk, and this was among it.  Knowing how I am about old furniture, he asked me if I wanted it or saw any life in it.  Of course I did!!!  I needed another chair to go in my new apartment, so my gears started turning about what to do w/ it.

First, I took off the wings that were attached to the sides - that alone made the chair look 10 years younger.  Then I knocked out the sides and spindles w/ a sledge hammer - another 5 years.

I sanded the surface to prepare the wood to be painted.



The cushions weren't really salvagable even if  I re-covered them.  I had a set of cushions for an Ethan Allen chair my cousin had given me (she works there).  The chair itself costs about $800 and she had gotten the cushions for free.  I had no idea what I was going to do w/ them...until now!

I used 2 cans of silver satin spray paint - I chose not to do black this time :)


The silver turned out much better than I had expected.  The back cushion is actually the ottoman top for the Ethan Allen chair.  There is a matching pillow I will probably throw on the sofa to tie it in.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but the paisley pattern has black and grey colors in it (hence the silver). 

One afternoon + 2 cans of spray paint + a hand-me-down 1960's chair + designer cushions = My New Living Room Furniture!!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool chair! You should start selling them on Craigslist.... 'J Paris Design LLC'

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. Thanks for leaving some feedback on all of my hard work! I love hearing from everyone - friends and strangers alike. :)