When Dan first moved in, he needed something to cover the windows in the living room. Now, given my hatred for miniblinds, I set off to buy him curtain panels. I unintentionaly started a color scheme of light blue and brown (the walls are light brown). I bought brown suede curtain panels (full curtains this time, not just toppers) and light blue sheers for behind them. They hung for months and everytime I looked at them when they were drawn closed, it looked like a big brown blob. Dan, of course, would have been just fine leaving them as is. I, however, was unsatisfied. So the wheels began turning.....
Something needed to happen to the top of the curtains so that they lost that "square brown box" look that I wasn't liking.
I decided on cornace boards.
I found the prettiest/manliest fabric at Joann's and bought 3 yards of it!
I bought a couple 1x12" pine boards and cut them to form a 3-sided box. I cut quilt batting to size and placed that over the top and wrapped the fabric around it and stapled to the back.
They fit over the curtain rod and give it a more tailored look. We still haven't figured out how to hang them :)
His front door needed something too because you can see right in from the road. I mean, the guy left his Christmas wreath hanging until late March just to provide privacy! So, I made a curtain to emulate the cornace boards.
I didn't realize when I was picking out the sheer brown fabric that it had "sparkles" on it. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that the "sparkles" had to face out so that he couldn't see them in the room. O, silly boys!