Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Window Cleaner's Nightmare

So, one (but not nearly all) of the kickbutt parts of my job is that I get free reign of the giant picture window in the front of the store.  It was big, empty, and a perfect display place when I happened upon it a mere 4 months ago (WOW has it been that long??!).

My boss told me I could do what I wanted, maybe jokingly, maybe not (I can't always tell) but I went for it.  Here is my first endeavor - made with discarded carpet tubes cut to random lengths.
The flowers are actually pages from old carpet brochures that look like - you guessed it - carpet!  I got some seriously curious looks from people that walked by and had that "Wait...are those..are those carpet tubes??" look on their face.  Budget friendly design is the way to every boss's heart!

Window #2
Picture quality=horrible, but I think you can get the picture (haha what a pun).  The bottles are from the weekend before, ya know, just hangin out, drinkin some wine ;)  The sticks are - you guessed it again - STICKS! From my backyard, no less.  And I bet you'll never guess what the "budding flowers" are made of....go on....I'll wait.....
Plastic grocery bags. Yep, that's right.  I cut round circles out of different colored grocery bags and bunched them up.  Then I taped them to the sticks and stuck the stick (haha again) in the bottle and voila!  Total cost = 0, although I did try to convince my boss to write the wine off as a business expense...no go on that one.

Window #3
The quintessential summer window complete with red, white, and blue glory. 
Again, picture quality=not so great.  But the base is, haha, blue wine bottles (notice a pattern here??).  I made pinwheels out of Americana scrapbook paper and dowel rods.  The banner reads "Land of the Free" from the outside, and it even has a paper chain that had me giddy with childhood memories while constructing it.     Sidenote: I used to spend entire Saturdays as a kid making endless paper chains.  Although I don't know what my mom ever did with them, I'm quite certain, if combined together, they could wrap around the world, or at least the state of Ohio.

I must admit, this one is my favorite.  Plenty of rave reviews from everyone, and many "I can't wait to see what you come up with next" remarks from customers and coworkers alike.  One minor problem is that this display cost the Boss Man a whopping $25 - much higher than my previous 2 displays that came in at NOTHING.  I've been reminded that at this rapid rate of influx, my Christmas window could be upwards of $100 and that I may need to tone it down a bit.  Back to dumpster diving for my next inspiration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there. Thanks for leaving some feedback on all of my hard work! I love hearing from everyone - friends and strangers alike. :)